New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

UI Tweaks

General discussion

Re: UI Tweaks -Clipboard issues solved!

Postby bradm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Abs62 wrote:Try to turn on ScanPopup and "Send word to main window" option.

I have to apologize to Tvangeste and Abs62: my problems –- which are now happily solved -- had nothing to do with Goldendict's fine code!

Two unexpected events were at the heart of my clipboard issues. ClipMate surprised with an update after more than 2 years of inactivity, and, at the time of the latest Goldendict EA build, I had just changed my antivirus program for the Webroot which seems to be a fine companion to my Outpost firewall.

Without my knowledge, Goldendict automatically landed on Webroot's protected applications list, in the company of Chrome browser, LastPass, ClipMate, and AutoHotkey. All I had to do was explicitly allow Goldendict full access to protected data on the system. So the real culprit of my hardships was my ignorance! :oops:

All my best!
bradm

Re: UI Tweaks

Postby vjjustin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 am

Tvangeste wrote:.........I totally agree that they are way too big for a window that supposed to be small and compact....

I completely agree (I said it in the other thread that chulai mentioned). If there is a single most issue that bothers me about GD, it is the too much padding and spacing all around (the separators between history/results navigation panes and the goldendict, article area border, separator between the toolbar and article area, margins in popup, etc....separators/borders/margins everywhere).

The padding make GD feel like it is a huge (as in resource heavy...) application. Lingoes got it pretty right wtih '1px' margins/separators through out, and small/compact icons without any borders; lingoes is a pleasure to watch/use. Instead of the padded borders etc. lingoes uses a separator line between sections and for border.

Tvangeste wrote:I've modified them in the source, changing from 9 to 3

If you can make it say 1px that would be more better. :)
vjjustin

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 am

vjjustin wrote:If you can make it say 1px that would be more better. :)

Heheh, I think that 3 is a good balance between the compactness and UI look and feel, suitable for the most users, and in various OSes and themes. If you wish to reduce the margins even further you could use the trick @chulai linked above, with negative margins (use -2px now instead of -9px).
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 pm

FYI, a couple of new themes/styles have been added to GoldenDict, check them out here.

The 'modern' theme looks great with the updated UI and that's what I use as my daily driver.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:22 pm

OK, guys (and gals), time to revive this thread. :)

This time we're talking about adjusting the "Groups" preferences. One of the popular complains about our current Groups preferences UI is that it is rather ugly when user has multiple groups (more than 2-3). Take a look, the group names are almost invisible, the scrolling buttons are ugly on Windows:

Another problem is that it is currently impossible to drag-n-drop a dictionary from one group to another easily, without intermediate step to remove it and later on add it to other group.

And here's the proposed change, the group tabs are gone and replaced by the list, so it will scale to any amount of groups. We're also adding the quick search/filters to all lists, making it super easy to find the dictionaries or to filter them. E.g., select all En-Ru dictionaries and move them, etc.

If you think you have better ideas about the UI or if you have some additional feature requests in this area, speak up now! :)

P.S. There is also a bug opened for this task: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/352
Tvangeste

Postby hanyl05 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 am

That search an existing dictionary and add it into a specified group is a very useful function, and sincerely wish developers to keep this function in the new version
hanyl05

Previous

Return to General