New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

UI Tweaks

General discussion

Re: UI Tweaks

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 pm

eneji wrote:I'm using your minimalist style. Notice that between icons 'Pronounce Word' and 'Menu Button' there appears to be a small mark, any ideas of why it might be so?

Yeah, depending on the OS and theme, the width of the buttons might wary a bit. Try to replace the margin for buttons (not separators) from -3px to -4px in the CSS file, that'll fix the problem.

Are you using Linux, btw?

eneji wrote:Also the option 'Show small icons in Toolbars' does not have an effect on the popup window, which results in the popup window having a bigger toolbar space than the main window. :)

Yeah, that option is only for the main window. The pop-up is a completely separate window. But yeah, I think this is a completely reasonable request to provide an option to make icons small in the pop up window. Please file a bug in our issue tracker: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues

eneji wrote: Also is it possible to customize the popup window similarly to the main window by hiding some if not all the icons and also decreasing the margins between the article space and the window border?

I think so, but I need to dig up the button names, one sec.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Here it is:

https://gist.github.com/4574234

Code: Select all
/*
  Here's a CSS code to hide the most of GoldenDict's Scan Popup buttons.
  Enable or disable them as you wish.
*/

/* ScanPopup #goBackButton, */
/* ScanPopup #queryError    */
ScanPopup #goBackButton,
ScanPopup #goForwardButton,
ScanPopup #wordListButton,
ScanPopup #pronounceButton,
ScanPopup #sendWordButton
/* ScanPopup #showDictionaryBar, */
/* ScanPopup #pinButton */
{
  width: 0px;
  height: 0px;
  margin: -4px;
}
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:38 am

eneji wrote:Also is it possible to customize the popup window similarly to the main window by hiding some if not all the icons and also decreasing the margins between the article space and the window border?

It is not possible to customize the margins for the scan pop-up window, but I totally agree that they are way too big for a window that supposed to be small and compact.

I've modified them in the source, changing from 9 to 3: http://is.gd/tOEDXC
This change will appear in the next build.
Tvangeste

Postby eneji » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks, setting the margins to -4px solved the issue with the toolbar mark and the supplied css provided a desirable result.

Correct, I'm using ArchLinux with Gnome Shell, the scrollbars look very slick, isn't it? :)

Tvangeste wrote:It is not possible to customize the margins for the scan pop-up window, but I totally agree that they are way too big for a window that supposed to be small and compact.

I've modified them in the source, changing from 9 to 3: http://is.gd/tOEDXC
This change will appear in the next build.

This change had a huge impact on the visuals, for the better. I've filled the bug about icon sizes in the issue tracker, although after changing the margins, apparently main culprits for bulkiness, the popup window with larger icons aleardy appears slim. Here is a comparison screenshot http://i.imgur.com/ggZwBbn.png
eneji

Postby chulai » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Tvangeste wrote:It is not possible to customize the margins for the scan pop-up window, but I totally agree that they are way too big for a window that supposed to be small and compact.

Actually yes, you can. See here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1855#p7984
chulai

Re: UI Tweaks - unusual issues with the clipboard

Postby bradm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:49 pm

As impressive as the latest builds (501 & several earlier ones) are with the fixed handling of huge bgl items, "always on top" functionality, history pane, dictionary filtering in the settings, -- and so on and so forth, all of a sudden, I am experiencing unusual issues with the clipboard pasting into the search window, though.

I am a rather conservative user of autohotkey scripts instead of currently quirky scan popup functionality in the browsers' environment. I don't think my css files are to blame, as I made some arbitrary tests with the vanilla portable version also.

Practically, I can't send the clipboard content to GD main window as I used to. However, scan popup seems to be live and well, but I am not happy with two windows.

Anyway, guys, thank you so much for your hard work and invention!
All my best!
bradm

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 pm

chulai wrote:

Actually yes, you can. See here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1855#p7984

Yeah, but this is not the full solution, since these negative margins would also remove the border of the popup window. Plus, the spacing between the "toolbar" and the content is still way too big, 6 pixels. Not to mention that users need to figure the whole stuff out and modify their CSS files :)

So I made the change in the code to unify these, to make them all to be equal to 3. Here's the screenshot:

The first phrase means: equal margins, the second: the border. :)
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 pm

bradm wrote:I am a rather conservative user of autohotkey scripts instead of currently quirky scan popup functionality in the browsers' environment. I don't think my css files are to blame, as I made some arbitrary tests with the vanilla portable version also.

Please describe in more detail how it all worked for you. I need to figure this out in order to reproduce.

bradm wrote:Practically, I can't send the clipboard content to GD main window as I used to. However, scan popup seems to be live and well, but I am not happy with two windows.

So you just copy some word in browser, then go to the GoldenDict main window and just paste there? This simple action seems to be working just fine for me here. And yeah, CSS should not affect it in any way.

Also, double check in both UI modes, the classic and the new UI (change via Ctrl+S). Do you see exactly the same results in both modes?
Tvangeste

Postby bradm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 am

Tvangeste wrote:Please describe in more detail how it all worked for you. I need to figure this out in order to reproduce.

Hi, Tvangeste,
I doubt my notes can be of any help to you.

My general impression is that the clipboard behaves unpredictably in conjunction with the browser. Now it works, now it won't. Even after a fresh restart, without any other symptoms of pc's mal-behaviour (Windows 7, x64, 8 GB RAM; Google Chrome v.24).

Excerpt from my GD <preferences>:
<escKeyHidesMainWindow>0</escKeyHidesMainWindow>
<enableMainWindowHotkey>1</enableMainWindowHotkey>
<mainWindowHotkey>Ctrl+Shift+G</mainWindowHotkey>
<enableClipboardHotkey>1</enableClipboardHotkey>
<clipboardHotkey>Meta+G</clipboardHotkey>
<enableScanPopup>0</enableScanPopup>
<scanToMainWindow>0</scanToMainWindow>

I can reproduce my regular search procedure in GD under build 439 (portable), as I used to do for months. As the default GD hotkeys won't work on my computer, I changed them in the settings. So I reproduce the copy action, then launch the <clipboardHotkey> with the help of a simple AutoHotkey script, unable to produce Ctrl+C+C. And it works. I hover the cursor over a word, then Ctrl + right click the mouse.

^RButton::
clipboard =
Click 2
Sendinput, {ctrl down}c{ctrl up}
Sleep, 400
AutoTrim, On
clipboard = %clipboard%
ClipWait, 1
Sendinput, {LWin down}g{LWin up}
return

Under build 501, I can't make "Ctrl + right click" to trigger the paste action into GD main search window from the Chrome browser. After a couple of mostly inefficient trials with the keyboard, the search window remains dead for any pasting from the clipboard. I can input text with the keyboard, though. All this is true for both UI modes, the classic and the new one. In MS Word, the clipboard seems to come out of a coma.
Enabling or disabling <enableScanPopup> make no difference, either.

All my best!
bradm

Postby Abs62 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 am

bradm
Try to turn on ScanPopup and "Send word to main window" option.
Abs62

PreviousNext

Return to General