New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

UI Tweaks

General discussion

Re: UI Tweaks

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 am

Just FYI, folks: I've committed the change to the GoldenDict repository that makes the new UI mode (the search line is in the toolbar, at the top) the default one. So that new users will get the new UI by default.

If you wish to use the old mode for some reason, just use Menu -> View -> Search Pane, or just press Ctrl+S to re-enable your old sidebar. But I urge you to use the new UI mode and give it a try.
Tvangeste

Postby eneji » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Hello, it's not possible to delete words from the history pane with the 'Del' key anymore, because it highlights the new search pane instead.
eneji

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm

eneji wrote:Hello, it's not possible to delete words from the history pane with the 'Del' key anymore, because it highlights the new search pane instead.

Indeed, thank you for the bug report. I've filed Issue#154 for that: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/154

Will fix.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm

FWIW, there are some other bugs related to the History and the new UI mode:

#157: History with new UI: New words are not added when History is shown
#156: History with new UI: Extra Groups widget in History is shown
#155: History with new UI: Arrow keys navigation in History doesn't work
#154: History with new UI: DEL key does not delete the current history entry

I'm going to work on these in the upcoming week.
Tvangeste

Postby pesgd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:23 pm

I´ve also come across some bug related to to the search pane, though I´m not able to reproduce it. Restarting GD has fixed.
I beg the developers: please keep intact the functionality of the original UI.
Last edited by pesgd on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pesgd

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:10 pm

pesgd wrote:I´ve also came across some bug related to to the search pane, though I´m not able to reproduce it. Restarting GD has fixed.

Hehe, makes it very hard to act on such a problem. :)

pesgd wrote:I beg the developers: please keep intact the functionality of the original UI.

This is also unclear. You mean, the search on the sidebar instead of browsers-like UI? If so, then yes, the old UI mode is there and is supported, so you could choose between the two modes as you wish. Even though it significantly complicates the code to keep both modes, we discussed it some time ago and it was agreed that both modes will be properly supported, so no worries.
Tvangeste

Postby pesgd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Tvangeste wrote:Even though it significantly complicates the code to keep both modes, we discussed it some time ago and it was agreed that both modes will be properly supported, so no worries.
that´s great news, then. You know I like the centered layout on GD main interface. The pop-up dialog is better to be kept as compact as it is, but on the main GD window, I like to have all options available through one single click, as I am a more predominantly mouse user... By the way, I´d like to have a customizable toolbar, where I could put some buttons that I need more than one click to access, like the Dicionaries (green one) and the preferences. I don´t know exacly if it is possible to put a button on the toolbar via qt-style.css... This is how my GD looks atm (v. x.477):Image
pesgd

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 pm

pesgd wrote:By the way, I´d like to have a customizable toolbar, where I could put some buttons that I need more than one click to access, like the Dicionaries (green one) and the preferences.

Agreed, it *would* be nice to have a customizable toolbar. So far, we only have the means to hide some unwanted buttons. But it is impossible to rearrange the order or to add buttons. Maybe, in release after the current, since the code would be pretty complicated.
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:20 pm

For those who value minimalism, here's some code to hide the main toolbar's handle:

Code: Select all
/* remove the main toolbar handle */
#navToolbar::handle {
  image: none;
  width:  0px;
  margin-left: 1px;
}

Here's my main UI, with unwanted menu (Ctrl+M), buttons, separators and handles removed:

And here's my qt-style.css in full: https://gist.github.com/4495891
Tvangeste

Postby eneji » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Well done, the new UI and history pane are great!

I'm using your minimalist style. Notice that between icons 'Pronounce Word' and 'Menu Button' there appears to be a small mark, any ideas of why it might be so? Also the option 'Show small icons in Toolbars' does not have an effect on the popup window, which results in the popup window having a bigger toolbar space than the main window. :) Also is it possible to customize the popup window similarly to the main window by hiding some if not all the icons and also decreasing the margins between the article space and the window border? (see screenshot)

eneji

PreviousNext

Return to General