New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

windows 7 problems

General discussion

windows 7 problems

Postby orecchionebruno » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:37 am

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, and GoldenDict scan doesn't work on follwing applications:

- notepad
- firefox 4.0.1
- ie 9.0.8112 ...and in any CHM help
- open office

I don't know if it works on Chrome.

The only good news, it's that GodelnDict works on Thunderibird. :D
Can you please check that problems?

There is some one that has same problem on Windows 7?

Thankss
orecchionebruno
orecchionebruno

Re: windows 7 problems

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:11 am

Hi there. Yes, this is a known problem.

Well, there are actually two different problems (to the best of my knowledge):

1. 64-bit apps are completely not supported at the moment. So, Notepad won't work due to this.

2. Modern browsers started to use various graphic accelerated paths to render the text, which makes it hard (if possible at all) to obtain the word under cursor.

Other dictionary products face the same problems. Some are doing pretty creative things with image recognition on the fly, since there is no way to get the actual text under cursor directly.

One method that is working for me in modern browsers is to select a word I wish to translate and then click Ctrl-C. It will bring the pop-up window with translation. Good enough for my needs (and actually works more reliably that way).
Tvangeste

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 am

Tvangeste wrote:One method that is working for me in modern browsers is to select a word I wish to translate and then click Ctrl-C. It will bring the pop-up window with translation. Good enough for my needs (and actually works more reliably that way).

Or, better yet, just enable the Hotkey Ctrl-C-C in the settings (Edit->Preferences->Hotkeys), and then in any application just select a word and click Ctrl-C-C.

And you could disable the ScanPopup in settings altogether (since it doesn't work mostly due to issues I described earlier).
Tvangeste

Postby orecchionebruno » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks Tvangeste,

ok I understand and I also hope that this problem will be solved with modern browser.

Ciaoo
orecchionebruno

Return to General