New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Added Mac OS X support

General discussion

Re: Added Mac OS X support

Postby chulai » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:13 am

Let's drop OS X 10.4 Tiger. It is 6 years old anyway. OS X 10.5 Leopard is the last version that supports PPC but if it is a hassle to get it working I would drop PPC too but not Leopard support.

strannik wrote:Well, I've tested the above binary on Tiger with i386, and it doesn't work :(
It lies about libiconv.dylib version being 5.0.0, which is not the one linked by goldendict (8.0.0). Seems like it doesn't understand "@executable_path" nomenclature on Tiger :(
Further, I've installed Xcode 2.5 and Qt libraries 4.6.4 on Tiger, and could not successfully built the app with "CONFIG += x86". There're some other incompatibilities popping up.
So, seems like we have to aim for 10.5+ (hence Cocoa!). Would be great to find someone to test it on Leopard (which is also the last OS X version that runs natively on PPC, apart from x86 and x86_64). Frankly, I have no interest in anything beyond 10.6+ with x86/64 if no one needs it :)
Even Nokia has already dropped Qt Creator support for 10.4.
chulai

Postby strannik » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:26 am

You're right, 10.5 with ppc sounds like a good min req :)
strannik

Postby pedrosonic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:53 am

Hi,
first of all, I'm not an expert in computing, just an average mac user.I tried Goldendict in Windows and Linux and everything works fine.
In Mac (snow leopard) I installed 3 non-babylon dictionaries without problem, but could add .bgl files. Whenever I try to do it, after clicking on "rescan" and watching the message "initializing - please wait while indexing dictionary", suddenly and unexpectedly Goldendict shuts down. Then I decided to drag Goldendict from the "applications" folder to the bin and make a fresh install, but I couldn't believe my eyes when, after installing my new Goldendict those 3 non-babylon dictionaries were already installed (inside Goldendict). For this reason I guess that dragging Goldendict to the bin is not enough if you want to uninstall it completely; I imagine that there's a place in the computer where part of the application remains and that's the reason why those 3 dictionaries automatically installed along with the new Goldendict installation. Could anybody help me to add those .bgl files? What am I doing wrongly? Thanks
pedrosonic

Postby strannik » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:31 am

Yup, it's in your home directory:
/Users/username/.goldendict
To delete it, you need to open Terminal and give the command:
Code: Select all
cd; rm -rf .goldendict
strannik

Postby pedrosonic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:03 am

strannik wrote:Yup, it's in your home directory:
cd; rm -rf .goldendict

I appreciate your help, but I re-installed Goldendict and the main problem is still there: I cannot add bgl files. After quite a while watching the "please wait while indexing dictionary" message, Goldendict closes unexpectedly. Then there's that report and at the beginning and I can read:
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000011c600000
Crashed Thread: 7

I have a Mac Mini3,1 (late 2009), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2,53 GHz, RAM 4 GB
pedrosonic

Postby strannik » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 am

Did you use the latest version from git?
strannik

Postby chulai » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:34 pm

can you tell us the name of the bgl dictionary that can't be indexed?

pedrosonic wrote:
strannik wrote:Yup, it's in your home directory:
cd; rm -rf .goldendict

I appreciate your help, but I re-installed Goldendict and the main problem is still there: I cannot add bgl files. After quite a while watching the "please wait while indexing dictionary" message, Goldendict closes unexpectedly. Then there's that report and at the beginning and I can read:
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000011c600000
Crashed Thread: 7

I have a Mac Mini3,1 (late 2009), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2,53 GHz, RAM 4 GB
chulai

Postby pedrosonic » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 am

strannik wrote:Did you use the latest version from git?

I have tried two versions:
-version 99ba941-dirty for OX X 10.5+ and Intel-32/64 (posted in this thread Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 pm)
-and previously I tried GoldenDict 0.8 (on the Goldendict download page)

chulai wrote:can you tell us the name of the bgl dictionary that can't be indexed?

I tried several .bgl dictionaries (some of them are free and some of them are non-free). For example these free .bgl:
Babylon_English_Spanish.BGL
Babylon_Spanish_English_dictio.BGL
I put them into a folder called En-ES
I tried to change the file names but didn't work either.

Today I installed Goldendict in another mac with Snow Leopard (2.66 Ghz Intel core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram) and I had the same problem.
As I said , I can add other file types (Stardict), but I can't add .BGL files.
On the other hand, I had no problems in Windows and Linux.
In mac, sometimes the application closes when indexing the dictionary after "rescan now". Sometimes, It seems that I managed to add the dictionary, and I can even see the babylon logo on the Goldendict window, but I'm unable to look up any word.
What am I doing wrong?
pedrosonic

Postby strannik » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 am

Yep, I reproduced the problem on Lion 10.7 too.
By launching the app from Qt Creator, I got the following error message which repeats multiple times:
Error in iconv conversion

It can be traced to the file bgl_babylon.cc:
  inbufbytes = s.size();
  outbufbytes = s.size() * 6;
//#ifdef _WIN32
//  const char *inbuf;
//  inbuf = s.data();
//#else
  char *inbuf;
  inbuf = (char *)s.data();
//#endif
  outbuf = (char*)malloc( outbufbytes + 1 );
  memset( outbuf, '\0', outbufbytes + 1 );
  defbuf = outbuf;
  while (inbufbytes) {
    if (iconv(cd, &inbuf, &inbufbytes, &outbuf, &outbufbytes) == (size_t)-1) {
      DPRINTF( "\n%s\n", inbuf );
      DPRINTF( "Error in iconv conversion\n" );
      inbuf++;
      inbufbytes--;
    }
  }

So, something is clearly wrong here - we can further debug it by setting a breakpoint (I don't have time at the moment, sorry).
strannik

Postby det » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:25 am

I've been having script rendering problems: words being displayed with the wrong spacing, on top of each other (see the attached screenshot). Any ideas of why this might be?

GoldenDict rendering problems.png
See the first & second sub-entry
GoldenDict rendering problems.png (60.41 KiB) Viewed 17873 times

I have OSX 10.7.2 (Intel) and the GD binary strannik posted on this thread Sept 23. (The problem is for Bengali script. But I'm using one of the mac fonts that comes with 10.7, which is when Bengali support was added.)
det

PreviousNext

Return to General