New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Added Mac OS X support

General discussion

Re: Added Mac OS X support

Postby strannik » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 am

Hi det,
You're right - this IS a rendering problem. It has to do with the environmental variable "QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM" set to "raster" in main.cc
Here's the compiled binary for a 64-bit system, built with that line commented out (i.e., reverted to the "native" rendering model). It was compiled with a 64-bit version of Qt, which seems not to have a nasty bug when mouse scrolling is slow in the main window (unlike for "raster" render). So, it's a tradeoff we had to make to build universal binaries.
Maybe I'll add a check for it in the code.
Best,
Denis.
strannik

Postby det » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Denis - Thanks a lot! That seems to have solved it. The entry now displays fine.
det

Postby loyola » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:22 pm

I am sorry to butt into this thread out of nowhere, but I was wondering if the last few posts (after pedrosonic's Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 am) are related to the issue pedrosonic posted about, namely, that GoldenDict crashes on Mac OSX Lion when BGLs are being scanned for addition. It seems that they are about rendering problems. Is this the same bug?

In any case, I couldn't solve the crashing problem myself: I can confirm that this happens on Mac OSX Lion with a number of BGL dictionaries (I can send them upon PM request if needed, I don't think it is a good idea to post here). This happened with both the development builds that I found linked on this thread, and the older version for Mac on the GoldenDict download page.

I can also add that all those MacOSX builds worked perfectly with an older version of OSX (i.e., not Lion - I think it was Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard from mid 2009). I don't really know how to compile from git, so I only tried the DMGs posted on this thread.

The processor is, I think, P8400 CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz)

On windows everything works like a charm...

thanks
loyola

Postby det » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:30 am

I don't use BGL dictionaries, so no, my rendering issues were not related as far as I know.
det

Postby strannik » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

loyola wrote:I am sorry to butt into this thread out of nowhere, but I was wondering if the last few posts (after pedrosonic's Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 am) are related to the issue pedrosonic posted about, namely, that GoldenDict crashes on Mac OSX Lion when BGLs are being scanned for addition. It seems that they are about rendering problems. Is this the same bug?

This has to do with the maximum number of file descriptors in Lion. Apparently, it's set to a lower value. Please open Terminal.app and enter:
Code: Select all
launchctl limit maxfiles 1024 1024

Hope this helps.
strannik

Postby pedrosonic » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:30 am

strannik wrote:This has to do with the maximum number of file descriptors in Lion. Apparently, it's set to a lower value. Please open Terminal.app and enter:
Code: Select all
launchctl limit maxfiles 1024 1024

Hope this helps.

Doesn't work in Snow Leopard (10.6.8)
pedrosonic

Postby strannik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:40 pm

pedrosonic wrote:Doesn't work in Snow Leopard (10.6.8)

Sorry, at this point I'd ask ikm.
strannik

Postby ikm » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm not much of a Mac user - others should be more knowledgeable when it comes to Mac support.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby loyola » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 pm

For what it's worth, I managed to circumvent this problem by converting all the BGLs to stardict format using pyglossary (has GUI, pretty straightforward conversion). That works without problems on Mac OSX Lion.
loyola

Postby sanskrit » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Please tell me if there is another build I can use and where exactly I can download it. I also need to increase the font size

I found a build 0.8.0 that works on Lion. It's a little unstable but I am able to make it work. I can't change the file name of the dictionaries but that's certainly not the worst! The worst is that I can't increase the font size and trying to read complicated Devanagari Sanskrit is a stain. Is there anyway to improve this?

Wait! It was modified over 3 years ago. Do you have another build that I could successfully use with my OS X 10.7.4 ?

Please include link, I can't find anything!
sanskrit

PreviousNext

Return to General