New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Indexes: questions, a warning and a possible bug report

General discussion

Indexes: questions, a warning and a possible bug report

Postby francesinha » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi,

I use Goldendict version 1.5.0-RC-424-g2f8b497 (the one from July; I just saw there was a new one, I'll install it soon! :))

I have 360 dictionaries, which take up 3,28 Gb of my hard drive.

The corresponding 357 index files (not including the FTS files) take up 1,03 Gb.

The warning: beware of Goldendict's full-text search indexing when you have a small hard drive and many dictionaries!

The bug report: although I did disable full-text search under the preferences, it looks like Goldendict starts creating FTS index files again every time I rescan... I then hurry to go enable and disable that option, and only then does it stop...

The questions:
  • Goldendict creates indexes, but does it ever delete them? For example, if I add a dictionary to test it, then decide I don't like it or it's a duplicate, does the index stay anyway?
  • Is it safe to delete index files while Goldendict is closed? Both FTS and regular?
  • Do you have a fix for the problem I'm reporting, or should I just keep an eye on my disk space and go delete the unwanted indexes when needed?

Thank you! ;)
francesinha

Re: Indexes: questions, a warning and a possible bug report

Postby Abs62 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:01 pm

francesinha wrote:The questions:
Goldendict creates indexes, but does it ever delete them? For example, if I add a dictionary to test it, then decide I don't like it or it's a duplicate, does the index stay anyway?

GD will delete both indexes after removing of the dictionary file from source directories.
francesinha wrote:Is it safe to delete index files while Goldendict is closed? Both FTS and regular?

Yes. If GD can't find index file it just create it again.
francesinha wrote:Do you have a fix for the problem I'm reporting, or should I just keep an eye on my disk space and go delete the unwanted indexes when needed?

Try: goldendict-1.5.0-RC-445-g39b0625(EXE only).7z - 1.25 MB
Abs62

Postby francesinha » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks for the replies Abs62! I closed GD and deleted all the FTS index files.

Then I tried running your EXE, but got an error message saying I had a dll missing: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. Should I update to version 1.5.0-RC-442-g83397ce first? (I use Windows 7)
francesinha

Postby Abs62 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:02 pm

francesinha wrote:Then I tried running your EXE, but got an error message saying I had a dll missing: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. Should I update to version 1.5.0-RC-442-g83397ce first? (I use Windows 7)

Hm. The 1.5.0-RC-424-g2f8b497 full build also contains this library. No libraries were changed between this build and 1.5.0-RC-442-g83397ce.
You need just to replace GoldenDict.exe file from full build by new one.
Abs62

Postby francesinha » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Oooohhhh, I had tried to run the EXE it on its own, alone in its lil folder. Nevermind! ^^

So: I updated to version 1.5.0-RC-442-g83397ce, then replaced the EXE with the one you gave me, then rescanned, even added a new dictionary to be sure, and Goldendict seems to be behaving!

Thanks a lot! You're the best! *bowing down emoji*
francesinha

Return to General