New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Greek letters from different Unicode ranges

General discussion

Greek letters from different Unicode ranges

Postby Alec » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:17 pm

I would be grateful for advice concerning this problem.

The basic alphabet for Modern Greek is in the Unicode range called "Greek and Coptic" (characters 0370-03FF). The extra characters needed for Ancient Greek are in a separate range called "Greek Extended" (1F00-1FFF).

When I hover the cursor over a word that consists entirely of characters from the same range (e.g. "με", "τις"), GD *usually* finds it correctly. However, GD sometimes fails to find even very simple, common words, such as "οὐκ". If I then copy the word and paste it into the Search field, GD usually finds it.

When I hover over a word that consists of characters from both ranges e.g. " ἔφη "), GD *never* finds it. Once again, if I then copy the word and paste it into the Search field, GD usually finds it.

The test words are all in my dictionaries and I have modified the AFF and DIC files to take account of those characters that are duplicated, as explained here: https://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Gree ... ted_vowels .

It is as if GD is only looking for fragments of each word, not the whole word.

1) Is there something in GD that treats characters from different ranges as belonging to separate words?
AND/OR
2) Is there something in GD that treats those Greek characters that have diacritics as being word-delimiters?

Thanks in advance,

Alec.
Alec

Return to General