New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

ios dictionary with .dsl support?

General discussion

ios dictionary with .dsl support?

Postby jennie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:07 pm

So, supposing that someone has a custom .dsl dictionary, is there an iphone/ipad app they can use it with?
Alternatively, is there a legitimate (paid or free), gui, ios or windows app to convert the dsl dictionary to another format so that it can be used with ios?
jennie

Re: ios dictionary with .dsl support?

Postby Tvangeste » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 pm

There is Abbyy Lingvo for iOS, from the DSL authors. But unfortunately it does NOT support user-provided DSL dictionaries yet. Abbyy promised to provide this capability some time in the future and not (yet) delivered it.

In older Lingvo for iOS there was some hackish way to force Lingvo to understand the user-created DSL dictionaries (well, not DSL directly but compiled from DSL binary dictionaries in LSD format). It the latest Linvo 2.3 Abbyy closed that hole ;)

So the only way I am aware at the moment is Stardict dictionaries. There are multiple applications that support Stardict dictionaries on iOS.

And there is a command-line tools to convert DSL to stardict format. They are not easy to come by (but 100% legal) since they are mostly used in Linux world. I've seen those tools custom-built for Windows though. The process is not very easy for non-techies, that's for sure.

We've been asking Konstantin for Goldendict for iOS for quite some time, that would be just awesome, I would buy it at the very second it is released :) Without GoldenDict for iOS there is only Stardict route at the moment.
Tvangeste

Postby jennie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm looking for something I could recommend to my non-techie work colleagues, so command line hacks are simply out of the question.
jennie

Postby chulai » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:00 pm

That's a sad state of affairs. I was hoping to find an Iphone App to read dsl and/or bgl files. I don't like stardict too much maybe because I haven't found good quality dictionaries in that format or the ones I've found are actually converted (with issues) from Babylon. I could convert from dsl and bgl to stardict but as you said there are mostly linux tools and I'd rather use a simple conversion tool.

I have almost switched to Iphone/Ipad. Unfortunetly I'm already missing GoldenDict in iOS. It was the only program I used to use regularly in my Android phone. Hopefully someday we will have GoldenDict in iOS.

Chulai
chulai

Postby regnbage » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Are there any news on the subject?
Tvangeste wrote:And there is a command-line tools to convert DSL to stardict format. They are not easy to come by (but 100% legal) since they are mostly used in Linux world.

What are these tools? I'm a Linux and Windows user and I need a (best) way to convert dsl files for the usage under iOS.
regnbage

Postby hanyl05 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 am

chulai wrote:That's a sad state of affairs. I was hoping to find an Iphone App to read dsl and/or bgl files. I don't like stardict too much maybe because I haven't found good quality dictionaries in that format or the ones I've found are actually converted (with issues) from Babylon. I could convert from dsl and bgl to stardict but as you said there are mostly linux tools and I'd rather use a simple conversion tool.

I have almost switched to Iphone/Ipad. Unfortunetly I'm already missing GoldenDict in iOS. It was the only program I used to use regularly in my Android phone. Hopefully someday we will have GoldenDict in iOS.

Chulai

This is one of the reasons that I hope goldendict can support res.zip files for stardict format.
Stardict format is not so straightforward as dsl, but you can use it in a variety of platforms, linux, windows, android, and iphone, and by using stardict html format, you can exactly specify the font of a particular paragraph, add tables into content, which are still impossible for dsl format. In addition, compare with babylon, stardict format is more open and much easier to compile.

I knew a software named dictionaryuniversal, also a software developed by Russian genius, which has a very good support for stardict dictionaries , and also support zipped res multimedia resources.
hanyl05

Postby regnbage » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 pm

There's iCEDict with a limited DSL support. I wonder how usable it is. Unfortunately I can't test it now as I've got no iPhone myself.
regnbage

Postby jennie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:27 am

Apparently Fora Dictionary Pro supports .dsl files. And you can try out the identical desktop version before buying the iOS app.
Unfortunately, it does not seem to be diacritics-ignorant (i.e. searching for cafe won't find you the entry for café). It also doesn't seem to support images or compressed .dsl.dz files.
So, I'll still be waiting for goldendict on the iphone/ipad.

By the way, if anyone has experience with stardict dictionaries for iOS, would you mind commenting on whether they are diacritics-ignorant? Try searching for ecole in a French dictionary (does it suggest école?), or mogen in a German dictionary (does it suggest mögen?)
jennie

Postby Itman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi Friends i finally found the solution. You have to convert the .dsl dictionary into .dict with a tool called makedict. Its working under windows, here it is: http://ul.to/ivdpsc1b.
1. You extract the folder somewhere and put the .dsl dictionary inside, which you want to convert.
2. press windows key + r and type cmd
3. after the console is open drag the makedict.exe into it. Than i looks like this: C:\Users\Mendel>C:\Users\Mendel\Desktop\make\makedict.exe
4. type -i dsl -o stardict than it looks like this: C:\Users\Mendel>C:\make\makedict.exe -i dsl -o stardict
5. Now drag the .dsl file (look point 1) into the console, than it looks like this: C:\Users\Mendel>C:\make\makedict.exe -i dsl -o stardict C:\make\grae.dsl
6. press enter :D

Makedict creates automatical a new folder an the stardict files. Here i converted a greek dictionary with words like ἀρχισωματοφύλαξ with dots an all points... it works great on the Ipad!
Itman

Return to General