New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Why the pc version don't support the .lsd file?

General discussion

Why the pc version don't support the .lsd file?

Postby kingchan » Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 am

The android version can support the .lsd file,but why the pc version can't?I think there is no technical difficulty.
".dsl" file dictionary can be very big when including pictures and voice,and I have the longman 5 and Oxford advanced 8 both in ".lsd" version.
I think if this program on pc can support ".lsd",it will be even better.
kingchan

Re: Why the pc version don't support the .lsd file?

Postby Tvangeste » Thu May 24, 2012 11:02 am

LSD format is a closed proprietary format and as such is not supported by the open source GoldenDict for PC. Android's Goldendict is not open source and provides support for LSD.

To reduce DSL size, you could convert it to UTF-8 and compress by dictzip. Such compressed DSL dictionary is about the same size as LSD, and is fully supported by Goldendict on PC and on Android.
Tvangeste

Postby Draico » Sat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm

There are a number of valuable new dictionaries in Lingvo X5, but I can find absolutely no way to convert them to dsl, so I can't open them with GoldenDict on my desktop. Do you find it possible to create a special build of GoldenDict for PC supporting .lsd format without revealing the source code? I'm sure, many people would appreciate it. Or maybe even make a commercial version of this dictionary with the only difference - support for this very format.
Draico

Postby Tvangeste » Sun May 27, 2012 7:37 am

Same here, I would love to see that the PC version supports LSD and LD2 formats too. But that's the question for Konstantin.
Tvangeste

Return to General