New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Thai Dictionaries: Bug in the Software?

General discussion

Thai Dictionaries: Bug in the Software?

Postby Gobaith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:35 am

OK, here is the deal: Every time I try to use any Thai dictionary, e.g. Thai - Thai Royal Institute Dictionary, Thai - English LEXiTRON ™ dictionary v. 2, or English - Thai LEXiTRON ™ dictionary v. 2, GoldenDict slows down to a crawl using up to 50 per cent of CPU time, making any kind of meaningful interaction with the software all but impossible. Switching to a dictionary in any other language resolves the issue instantly. Is this a (un)known bug, or is it something that needs additional settings in one of the config files?

My copy of the software runs under Windows XP SP2 (English).
Gobaith

Re: Thai Dictionaries: Bug in the Software?

Postby chulai » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:49 am

Hi, I'm not sure which version you are using. If you have 1.0.1 that's quite old. You can try one of the in-development version here:
https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... or-Windows

On a side note, all dictionaries you listed are LSD. GoldenDict desktop version does not support that format but Lingvo DSL files.
GoldenDict for Android DOES support LSD probably because both are closed source: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1720

Gobaith wrote:OK, here is the deal: Every time I try to use any Thai dictionary, e.g. Thai - Thai Royal Institute Dictionary, Thai - English LEXiTRON ™ dictionary v. 2, or English - Thai LEXiTRON ™ dictionary v. 2, GoldenDict slows down to a crawl using up to 50 per cent of CPU time, making any kind of meaningful interaction with the software all but impossible. Switching to a dictionary in any other language resolves the issue instantly. Is this a (un)known bug, or is it something that needs additional settings in one of the config files?

My copy of the software runs under Windows XP SP2 (English).
chulai

Re: Thai Dictionaries: Bug in the Software?

Postby Gobaith » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi, Chulai.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the build I was using. My bad... Well, anyway, it was this one: GoldenDict 1.0.1-239-gc81e6ca of March 3, 2012. Following your advice and switching to a newer build GoldenDict 1.0.1-271-geaa62e6 of July 19, 2012 didn't make Thai dictionaries perform any better.

If I try searching any of those dictionaries for a word starting with a particularly common letter so that the number of probable hits is initially high, I have to wait up to 10-15 seconds before I'm able to type in the next character while the CPU usage spikes to 50-60%. There's clearly a bug somewhere...

And while we're on the subject, I thought I'd mention this one: Image & Image.

Don't know if you guys know of it yet. It's there in both of those builds.

Also, totally off topic now, but I was wondering if you could tell me whether it's possible to somehow associate language groups with keyboard layouts and tabs with language groups, and if not, whether there're any plans afoot to make this possible?..

PS. As to LSD vs. DSL, obviously I was using DSL files. I did mention, didn't I, that I was using GoldenDict under Windows XP. The list of links was only meant as an example of the dictionaries I was talking about.
Gobaith

Return to General