New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

GoldenDict Mac OS X available - Early Access Builds

General discussion

Re: GoldenDict Mac OS X available - Early Access Builds

Postby trungpt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 am

Hope that we have a final version by year end :D

Also, could you please support Mac OS X 10.6.8?
trungpt

Postby derridada » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:43 am

Many, many thanks for your work and the Mac version - much appreciated. It's running great on Mavericks, together with scrivener.
Just had a bad experience with Babylon 2013 for Mac - paid full price but it does not work, regardless of their promise it should work 'fine' on OS 10.9 - putting up a fight to get a full refund...
Anyhow, Goldendict is great. Just bought the android version. I'm happy I can still use all that Babylon premium dictionaries (over the years, I had invested quite a bit in those...)!
Thanks!
derridada

Postby Kilo1006 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:01 pm

The current early build GoldenDict 1.5.0-RC-114-gbb8f14e has a bug that cause the program nonfunctional and has to be forced to quit when wake up a system sleep in OS X 10.9.
Kilo1006

Postby Abs62 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Try all of you prenetsies minis for you...
Abs62

Postby sanskrit » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:24 pm

Where is the newest Goldendict for Mavericks? I love your dict and use it all the time. Almost lost until I find this.
sanskrit

Postby ccpizz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Have used GoldenDict both on Linux and Windows for years, tried getting it to run on OSX but the preview builds are still very buggy. On OSX Mavericks (10.9.2) GD does compile (only tried with qtsdk 4.8.5) but when launched only the app window appears, the configuration window won't show up and other menu items have no effect.

I decided GD is still not there yet, and considering that all my dictionaries are in DSL or BGL format I figured out a way to use them with the built-in OSX Dictionary.app.

The DSL workflow:

1. Convert DSL from UTF-16 to UTF-8:
Code: Select all
    iconv -f UTF-16 -t UTF-8 dict_utf16.dsl > dict_utf8.dsl

2. Using pyGlossary python project, convert UTF-8 DSL to AppleDict XML:
    pyglossary.pyw --read-format=ABBYYLingvoDSL --write-format=AppleDict dict_utf8.dsl dict.xml

3. Using Command Line Tools for Xcode and Dictionary Development Kit:
    make
    make install

Running `make install` will copy the compiled dictionary to `~/Library/Dictionaries` and you will now be able to enable your brand new dictionary in the Dictionary app under Preferences.

The pyglossary project is located here: https://github.com/ilius/pyglossary (I have no connection to the author).

Command Line Tools for Xcode and Dictionary Development Kit can be downloaded from http://developer.apple.com/downloads

NB. Dictionary Development Kit is part of Auxiliary Tools for Xcode.

And finally here is a bash script that automates the entire process for the DSL format:
https://gist.github.com/elFua/8540294
Run the bash script without arguments to see usage notes. NB. You will need to edit the script and set the correct value of `PYGLOSSARY_HOME`, by default it is `~/projects/pyglossary/pyglossary`.

The BGL conversion process is simpler:
pyglossary.pyw --read-options=resPath=OtherResources --write-format=AppleDict dict.bgl dict.xml
make
make install

A bash script is available at https://gist.github.com/elFua/8541228

To get this toolchain to work might require reading the readme files for pyglossary and Apple Dictionary Development Kit. I have included the most important points in the help section of the bash script for DSL.
Last edited by ccpizz on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ccpizz

Postby Kilo1006 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I am using the early build GoldenDict 1.5.0-RC-114-gbb8f14e. Overall it works fine for me, though it is certainly not perfect. Thanks to Chulai for his/her and other ones' hard work in providing this wonderful software to us.
Kilo1006

Postby gdfan » Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 pm

New Unofficial Early Access Build
This is a FULL distribution of Goldendict, with all required files, libraries and localizations. Includes new QT 4.8.6 libs.
GoldenDict 1.5.0-RC-374-ge2b0a7f.dmg
gdfan

Postby shipley.wu » Tue May 13, 2014 4:59 am

gdfan wrote:New Unofficial Early Access Build
This is a FULL distribution of Goldendict, with all required files, libraries and localizations. Includes new QT 4.8.6 libs.
GoldenDict 1.5.0-RC-374-ge2b0a7f.dmg

Great! Just wondering if it is possible for the new build to support hiding scroll bars automatically (as it is usually the case for a native Mac app). This is really my only pet peeve (for aesthetic reasons). Other than that, the New Unofficial Early Access Build really works like magic!
shipley.wu

Postby Kilo1006 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:28 pm

The new version 1.5 (based on Qt 4.8.6) works like a charm. Thanks!!
Kilo1006

PreviousNext

Return to General