New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Can you delete dictionaries after GoldenDict indexed them?

General discussion

Postby dakko » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Hallo,
just installed GoldenDict and its awesome.

Quick question though...
Or do i need both (I have ca. 12 dictionaries (350MB) and with indexed files its 700MB)?
dakko

Re: Can you delete dictionaries after GoldenDict indexed the

Postby Tvangeste » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 am

You could easily delete dictionaries, no problem. Just restart GoldenDict after that.

I'm not sure about the indexes, whether they are automatically deleted for the removed dictionaries or not. If the space is the main concern for you, then you could just remove all the indexes manually and GoldenDict would rebuild those that are needed from scratch, on the next start.
Tvangeste

Postby dakko » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:24 am

hi thanks for the reply, but i guess my question wasnt clear enough....

What i meant was: do i need both a dictionary+Index to keep using a certain dictionary in GoldenDict?
Will that certain dictionary still working if i remove it after indexing?

(i don't really know what happens during indexing, i thought GoldenDict just rewrites a Dictionary into its own format, because indexed files a just as big as the dictionary itself...)
dakko

Postby Abs62 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 am

dakko wrote:What i meant was: do i need both a dictionary+Index to keep using a certain dictionary in GoldenDict?

Yes, of course.
dakko wrote:Will that certain dictionary still working if i remove it after indexing?

No.
dakko wrote:i thought GoldenDict just rewrites a Dictionary into its own format, because indexed files a just as big as the dictionary itself...)

No, index file is just index. GD make big index file if the dictionary contains many sentences to translate instead of single words because it create individual index entry for every word in sentence to easy it search.
Abs62

Postby dakko » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:00 pm

ok thanks for info mate
dakko

Return to General