New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Send word query from Firefox without using Control +C +C

General discussion

Send word query from Firefox without using Control +C +C

Postby pesgd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:51 am

Hello all,

Looking at the UI option Tvangeste has come up with, which is very similar to the Firefox search bar, I started to wonder if there could be a way to send a query directly from Firefox, right after selecting any word.
That would work pretty much like this add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... uicksearch, which allows the user to send any selected text query directly to a chosen search engine, through an option in the context menu, but, as far as I know, it´s not able to call an external application to send the query.
So my question is: do you know of other add-on or 'hack' that could call GD from Firefox context menu?
The control+c+c shortcut works very well, but it seems to me there could be a more direct way to integrate GD use to FF navigation.
pesgd

Re: Send word query from Firefox without using Control +C +C

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:39 am

I wonder, why is Control+C+C is not enough for you for some reason?

If you'd like to bring up the main GoldenDict UI when translating via Control+C+C, there is an option for that now. So you select a word, Control+C+C and the main GD windows appears with your word.

Also, if you prefer the pop-up window, there is a button on it to bring the word to the main GoldenDict.

P.S. But yeah, some kind of FF plugin could improve things further. E.g., translating the word under cursor without any additional button presses. Quick search a-la one more search engine would be interesting too.
Tvangeste

Postby pesgd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Tvangeste wrote:I wonder, why is Control+C+C is not enough for you for some reason?

I think a possible answer is: I´d prefer not to have to switch from mouse to keyboard, then to keyboard again... Another possible explanation for my wish is that I´m kind of "hooked" on the quick search bar context menu and I feel GD should be there! Some will explain it with a single word: laziness. :D
(God, why will programmers always answer a question with another question, is it some kind of game? :x )

Tvangeste wrote:P.S. But yeah, some kind of FF plugin could improve things further. E.g., translating the word under cursor without any additional button presses.

I´m glad you acknowledge it. :)
I will do a search on it at Mozilla add-ons, I´m pretty sure there´s a way to call an external app from a firefox menu, including arguments if necessary, but, as I recall, it was not in the context menu, which makes it less of an alternative and more a way to figure out how to implement that.
pesgd

Postby Tvangeste » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:20 pm

pesgd wrote:God, why will programmers always answer a question with another question, is it some kind of game?

Heheh. Personally, I'm notoriously bad at guessing other people's motives and usage patterns so I'd like to double-check and ask rather than guess (which would probably be wrong anyways). :)
Tvangeste

Postby chulai » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:23 pm

pesgd wrote:Hello all,

Looking at the UI option Tvangeste has come up with, which is very similar to the Firefox search bar, I started to wonder if there could be a way to send a query directly from Firefox, right after selecting any word.
That would work pretty much like this add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... uicksearch, which allows the user to send any selected text query directly to a chosen search engine, through an option in the context menu, but, as far as I know, it´s not able to call an external application to send the query.
So my question is: do you know of other add-on or 'hack' that could call GD from Firefox context menu?
The control+c+c shortcut works very well, but it seems to me there could be a more direct way to integrate GD use to FF navigation.

I have done this in Opera: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1185&p=6391&#p6391
For Firefox check this documentation: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tip ... ntext_menu
If you find the solution please share it here in the forum.

Thanks
chulai

Postby pesgd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:45 pm

chulai wrote:
pesgd wrote:Hello all,

I have done this in Opera: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1185&p=6391&#p6391
For Firefox check this documentation: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tip ... ntext_menu
If you find the solution please share it here in the forum.

Thanks

wow. it seems quite simple to implement it in Opera!
Hopefully we´ll find out how to do it in FF. :)
pesgd

Postby pesgd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:55 pm

this seems a good add-on to dig over on this request:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ion-button

Merry Christmas and congrats to all GD developers and enthusiasts!
pesgd

Postby pesgd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:00 pm

very nice! that´s a good replacement for clickcutter autocopy add-on, which seems to consume too much FF memory.
Thank you.

edit: Beware of the "privacy" policy on that add-on.
pesgd

Postby pesgd » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 pm

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... on-button/

it works flawlessly on version 481!
pesgd

Return to General