New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

How do I monetize dictionaries?

General discussion

How do I monetize dictionaries?

Postby C2BlEv » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:04 pm

I've received a call from a copyright holder of a dictionary that I really like. I think lots of people would be interested in it. They are looking to somehow monetize it. I've thought of the following ways:

1. Talk to ABBYY about including the dictionary into Lingvo. If ABBYY agrees, then they would be paying royalties. I do think the dictionary is good enough to be included in Lingvo.
2. Create a user Lingvo dictionary and sell it without DRM.
3. Sell a dsl file in a module form on Play Store to be used with GoldenDict for Android. Is it possible? How does one make a module like that?
4. Create a Kindle dictionary and sell outside of Amazon (Amazon wouldn't sell Russian books). The problem is that many Kindle models do not support the dictionary format.
5. Create an dictionary app for the dictionary and sell it on iTunes, Play Store, etc. Is there software that can be used for that or should it be written from scratch?

I'd appreciate any comments or ideas on this. Are there any dictionary formats for e-readers other than the Kindle one?
C2BlEv
Модератор

Re: How do I monetize dictionaries?

Postby bNDrj7ZRP1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:18 pm

I would like to see "Dictionary store" in goldendict like App Store(iOS) or marketplace(Android).
bNDrj7ZRP1

Re: How do I monetize dictionaries?

Postby johnrigdon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:10 pm

I can't speak for GoldenDict, but I think they are wanting to avoid the copyright issues that took down Stardict.

To answer your question about monetizing dictionaries however, that is an area I am pursuing and should have digital formats available this summer.

I am already selling both paper and Kindle copies on Amazon.

Contact me at jrigdon@researchonline.net do discuss your project.

www.krengle.net
johnrigdon

Return to General