New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Dutch Localization

General discussion

Dutch Localization

Postby Cris » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:25 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I was looking for an off-line translation program and I found GoldenDict. I downloaded the latest release (GoldenDict 1.0.1) but I noticed there wasn't a Dutch Localization (Netherlands) for GoldenDict. I found some information on this forum and downloaded QT Linguist, imported the de_DE.qm file from the GoldenDict\Locale folder, translated the file into Dutch and saved it as nl_NL.qm. Everything works ok and now I have GoldenDict in Dutch. :)

But I noticed that the other localizations also have qt_de.qm, qt_fr.qm etc.. files in the locale folder. So probably I need to also translate the qt_de.qm file and save it as qt_nl.qm? And why are those files different in size, for example the qt_he.qm file is only 25 KB and the qt_de.qm file is 313 KB? Could I just take the smallest one and translate it to Dutch (for example I could translate qt_he.qm and save it as qt_nl.qm)?

Do you want me to post the Dutch localization files for GoldenDict 1.0.1 to this forum when they are ready so you can add them to the program?

Regards, Cris
Cris

Re: Dutch Localization

Postby chulai » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi, Cris. Welcome to the forum!

GoldenDict 1.0.1 is a more than 2-year old version. And the website info at http://goldendict.org is quite outdated. We have been working a lot to improve the program, though. If you want to get the latest and greatest features you should try one of the Early Access Builds: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/wiki/_pages

This is the right time to contribute with the Dutch translation. The next release version is just around the corner.

I read you loaded the de_DE.qm from the locate folder with Qt Linguist. Unfortunately, that's not the correct procedure to translate the program. You have to get the appropriated and up-to-date language file (de_DE.ts) from the following directory: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... ter/locale and then use Qt Linguist to do the translation. Then you can upload the translated *.ts file here in the forum so we can add the Dutch language to the next release of GoldenDict. When you finish with the translation you can test it yourself by using File > Release menu from Qt Linguist. Then the program will generate a *.qm binary file from the *.ts text file. You then copy this qm file to the locale folder. Use one of the GoldenDict Early Access Builds versions.

Don't worry about qt_*.qm files. Those are the translation files for the most common texts such as "Save", "Print", "OK", "Cancel", Error, etc. They are translation files for Qt, not GoldenDict. So although you can translate those files, they should really be translated by the Qt framework developers to be used in all softwares build with Qt framework, not only GoldenDict. And they are from different sizes because some languages have received more translation contributions than others.
chulai

Postby Cris » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Ok, thanks! I've just downloaded the up-to-date language file from github. I will upload the translated *.ts file here as soon as I've finished the translation.
Cris

Postby Cris » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:47 pm

The Dutch translation is ready!

Dutch .ts file (nl_NL.ts) tested and attached:
nl_NL.zip
(22.21 KiB) Downloaded 648 times

One problem: GoldenDict still shows one string in the Forvo-tab in English (I've translated that string in Dutch, but GoldenDict still uses the English version and the font-size isn't correct):

Forvo.png
Forvo.png (19.75 KiB) Viewed 12407 times
Cris

Postby Tvangeste » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Cris wrote:The Dutch translation is ready!

Excellent! Thank you very much for your efforts! I've committed them to the master repository, and updated to the very latest sources.

Cris wrote:One problem: GoldenDict still shows one string in the Forvo-tab in English (I've translated that string in Dutch, but GoldenDict still uses the English version and the font-size isn't correct):

I think that you're using the older GoldenDict version. Try the very latest from the development builds here: viewtopic.php?p=9537#p9537

I see that everything is fine with such build. The next build will contain your localization and you could double-check it.
Tvangeste

Postby Cris » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Yes, you are right, I just installed the latest development build #652 and everything is ok now in the Forvo-tab.
Cris

Postby Cris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Two more question about the Dutch localization:

1. The latest GoldenDict build now includes my Dutch translation file nl_NL.qm (thanks!), but no qt_NL.qm file and I couldn't find one here:

ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/l10n/index.html

Is there an official qt_nl.qm file available?

2. I found two mistakes in my translation. Could I just fix this and post the updated nl_NL.ts file here on the forum again?
Cris

Postby chulai » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Cris wrote:Two more question about the Dutch localization:

1. The latest GoldenDict build now includes my Dutch translation file nl_NL.qm (thanks!), but no qt_NL.qm file and I couldn't find one here:

ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/l10n/index.html

Is there an official qt_nl.qm file available?

2. I found two mistakes in my translation. Could I just fix this and post the updated nl_NL.ts file here on the forum again?

1. I looked in the Qt source code where the translation files are located and I can tell you that there is no official Dutch translation of Qt. At least not until Qt 4.8.1. You could take another qt_*.ts file and translate it to Dutch. Then you can contribute that to the Qt framework project. I'm sure they will be glad to have the translation.

* Download the latest file in the following link: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... e/nl_NL.ts
* Make the corrections.
* Upload the corrected *.ts file here and we will take care to add your update to the sourcecode.
You could do all by yourself if you know how to use github.com and understand how to clone, commit and make pull requests. But if you're not a developer you don't need to understand this procedure. We take care.
chulai

Postby Cris » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm

chulai wrote:I can tell you that there is no official Dutch translation of Qt. At least not until Qt 4.8.1. You could take another qt_*.ts file and translate it to Dutch.

Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment to also translate the qt_NL.ts file myself, but I found one somewhere on the web. You could add it to GoldenDict as long as there's no (official) qt_NL.qm file available (I tested the file, and it works with GoldenDict):

http://code.metager.de/source/xref/texm ... e/qt_nl.qm

chulai wrote:Upload the corrected *.ts file here and we will take care to add your update to the sourcecode. You could do all by yourself if you know how to use github.com and understand how to clone, commit and make pull requests. But if you're not a developer you don't need to understand this procedure. We take care.

I'm not a developer, so i've attached my corrected/updated nl_NL.ts file below:
nl_NL.zip
(22.11 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
Cris

Postby Abs62 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Done.
Abs62

Next

Return to General