New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

'meta + right mouse button' to activate goldendict

General discussion

'meta + right mouse button' to activate goldendict

Postby cipper » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

Hi,

it is some weeks that I have replaced the no-more-supported ktranslator with goldendict, that I find very nice.
The only thing I miss is the possibility to activate the main window by a keyboard+mouse combination, for example the 'meta + right mouse button'.

Do you think is possible to bring the same fature into goldendict?

Thank you
Roberto
cipper

Re: 'meta + right mouse button' to activate goldendict

Postby chulai » Thu May 09, 2013 1:36 pm

I have also requested this feature a couple of times: here and here.

Is not that easy to implement though. Gobal hotkeys and mouse events need a platform-specific solution. Therefore, GD developers need to know native API on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux/X11 platforms. Even so, there will be small different in the implementations. We recently achieved global hotkey support on all those 3 platforms. Is more than I can ask for!

I don't miss anymore invoking the main window with the mouse and a modifier key (as I used to use in Babylon some time ago). I just changed Ctrl + F11 + F11 to Ctrl + 1 + 1 which I find it very handy.
chulai

Postby cipper » Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi chulai,

thanks for the answer. I understand the complications of porting the feature in different architectures.
Anyway, I still think that the mouse+key combination is the best one: any combination leads to unwanted characters on screen under certain conditions.
cipper

Postby Tvangeste » Thu May 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Just in case, I filed a feature request here: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/304
Tvangeste

Return to General