New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

what are minimum RAM requirements

General discussion

what are minimum RAM requirements

Postby potomak » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:39 am

Can you tell me what are minimum RAM requirements for GoldenDict. I ask because I'd like to install it on e-book reader.
Have anyone installed it on any e-book reader (not tablet).
potomak

Re: what are minimum RAM requirements

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:05 am

You're probably talking about Android version of GoldenDict, aren't you?

GoldenDict for Android doesn't consume much memory on its own, but requires quite a bit of it when indexing huge dictionaries.

For dictionaries of regular size an Android device with 512mb would be more than enough. I haven't tested with lower memory devices.

But I'm not sure about reader devices. There is a free version of GoldenDict for Android to try though..
Tvangeste

Postby potomak » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:26 am

Actually I was thinking about e-book readers.
I watched Debian on Kindle reader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHoPgXb-JNM
and I was wandering if I could run Linux version of GoldenDict on E-book reader.
potomak

Postby Tvangeste » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 am

I tried to make a Kindle 3 port of GoldenDict once. It required A LOT of effort, needed a cross-compilation of entire QT + libs + GoldenDict for the ARM processor + special drivers for Kindle keyboard and framebuffer, and lots of hacks.

Not to mention that Kindle must be jailbroken for this even to work.

And at the end, even though I could launch GoldenDict on Kindle 3 and do some word lookup in dictionaries, the mouse-oriented UI is not suitable for Kindle and requires complete redesign/rewrite. To make it work properly on Kindle would require months and months of active work.

And then I broke my Kindle and eventually lost an interest in this activity.

In short, you can't really comfortably run the desktop version of GoldenDict on such special devices as e-ink readers.
Tvangeste

Return to General