New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Customize scan popup keys

General discussion

Customize scan popup keys

Postby Racachaquero » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Hello developers and fellow users,

I'm looking for a way to set a custom key combination (e.g. Ctrl + Shift + Z) to call the scan popup functionality. So far we only have the choice to select a limited set of keys (Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Win/Meta) and I feel this is too restrictive.

Why isn't there an option to set a custom key combination to call the scan popup, whereas this posibility exists for translating a word from clipboard?

I think it would be of much use to add this functionality.

A patch or any other solution will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Racachaquero

Re: Customize scan popup keys

Postby chulai » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello,

Personally, I don't find the "hover over word + use combination keys to call scan popup" thing very useful. I'd rather select the word and press Ctrl+C+C to open the scan popup with the definition of that word right there. In fact, I find myself using more the main window with the "Send translated word to main window" option activated instead of the scan popup. With that said, what do you gain by having more options to invoke the scan popup? Why don't using modifier keys is not good enough? Pressing a key other than a modifier key might cause the text you want to translate to be altered.

Anyway, you can post a request in the issue tracker: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendic ... state=open

Regards,
Chulai
chulai

Re: Customize scan popup keys

Postby Racachaquero » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:16 am

what do you gain by having more options to invoke the scan popup?

More freedoom and comfort to set it as I need/want. There are some netbook keyboards who lack some of the modifier keys, and if you are already using some keyboard shortcuts for other programs which involve those limited special keys... then you are in trouble.

Gladly I already found a twisted hack/workaround using xvkbd -a program which allows you to create custom keyboard shortcuts- that suits my needs on this computer.

Thanks for your answer.
Racachaquero

Return to General