New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

question/offer from FreeDict

General discussion

question/offer from FreeDict

Postby bansp » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Hello there, I am an admin of the Freedict project. Years ago, we offered translation into StarDict, though that proved a bit cumbersome (no time to track changes in StarDict while we were busy modifying our architecture).

I was wondering if you are interested in some degree of co-operation between the projects. Please treat this as a loose offer -- I have nothing specific in mind beyond the fact that it is usually in the interest of active open-source/open-content projects to co-operate rather than run in parallel, oblivious to one another.

I can see that you support the DICT format. Perhaps a good first step would be to see how you handle e.g.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedic ... 2/download

and whether you'd like to use our DICT releases, and whether there is anything that we could do to make them friendlier for GoldenDict, if we can do that without much extra overhead.

Cheers,
Piotr
bansp

Re: question/offer from FreeDict

Postby amosbatto » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi Piotr,
I don't work with the GoldenDict devs, so I have no idea if they are interested or not in collaborating. However, I work with the SimiDic project (www.simidic.org) and we are very interested in converting the FreeDict dictionaries to be used in our mobile app. SimiDic can import the StarDict format. I would be happy to work with you on converting freedict to stardict. At SimiDic we try to give credit to the authors and SimiDic would list the name of the freedict project under each entry. Since this is a GoldenDict forum, it is probably best if we correspond via email. My email: amosbatto -*AT*- yahoo -*DOT*- com

Another thing to keep in mind is that GoldenDict only partially supports the StarDict format. Some Pango markup tags (<i>, <s>, etc.) work, but others such as <span fgcolor="#FFFFFF"> do not work and need to be converted into HTML, such as <font color="#FFFFFF">. \n needs to be converted to <br>. Multiple spaces need to be converted into &nbsp; &nbsp; Another thing to keep in mind is that the yellow background of GoldenDict changes the color slightly, so it is often necessary to adjust the colors to look right in GoldenDict. See: http://www.simidic.org/wiki/index.php/I ... tibilities

Due to these incompatibilities, we found that we had to release separate dictionaries for StarDict and for GoldenDict. See: http://www.illa-a.org/wp/diccionarios/
amosbatto

Re: question/offer from FreeDict

Postby Stirlitz » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:50 pm

So, any news? Is it possible to use Freedict dictionaries in Goldendict?
Stirlitz

Return to General