New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Scan PopUp Questions

General discussion

Scan PopUp Questions

Postby JoeyDalton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:25 pm

One of the most powerful features of Goldendict is the "scan popup" function.
Unfortunately, it does not work like I expect it to work.

I have tried two different scenarios: with and without needing to press an addional key (beside the mouse being positioned above the word to be translated).
In IE I could not trigger the pop-up on any word pointed at by the mouse.
Once I used to trigger popups in IE, the other applications that used to react (editors), stopped reacting too; only opening Goldendict and doing a dummy update in the preferences made editors react again.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Joey.

(Windows Vista Business SP2)
JoeyDalton

Re: Scan PopUp Questions

Postby ikm » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:07 pm

I have to admit I've never tried it under Vista (worse yet, I've never even tried the Vista itself). I hope someone else here has the required experience.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Gloggy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:11 am

Joey, I'm on WinVista Ultimate x64, and see exactly the same behavior.

I configured GoldenDict to activate the pop-up on pressing Ctrl, and it works in Firefox and other applications and editors (albeit with minor catch: one has to move the mouse pointer a little for the pop-up window to appear).

If I open IE and try to press Ctrl to activate the pop-up window, it doesn't appear, and pop-up window stops working altogether, until, as you suggested, I go to preferences and press OK. Well, that's good workaround to be aware of. :)

Personally, I just don't use IE at all, that's another workaround...

P.S. IE8
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby glossum » Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

The "pop-up window" doesn't pop-up in any of applications natively written for windows x64. Explorer, Start menu and so on... Checked on "windows 7 x64".
It''s a pity :)
glossum

Postby ertpresso » Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 am

It doesn't work on pdf readers on Windows 7 64 bit. Can anbybody suggest a solution for this please?
ertpresso

Postby silvanfay » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:55 pm

i use 64bit Win7. popup does not work for chrome, wordpad etc.

but popup works perfect in firefox~~~ :P that's so nice~~~
silvanfay

Postby ikm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Current version of popup can only pick words from 32-bit programs.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby silvanfay » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm

i have tried GD popup in IE, firefox, and google chrome under 64bit Win7:

IE: perfect popup function for any languages

firefox: perfect for picking up alphabet languages, but not for logographic or syllabic languages (Chinese, Japanese, etc). it's not GD's problem, it is firefox's long-term bug for non-alphabetic languages. in firefox, i can never select a single logogram / character with a single click. a single click on a character always selects the whole sentence. it's very inconvenient to copy a single character. but with alphabetic languages, a single click always selects a single word. as a result, popup function won't work for logographic languages.

google chrome: GD and babylon don't work for chrome.

however, it sounds silly, but indeed IE tab in firefox and chrome will solve the problem. but i really hate IE....
silvanfay

Return to General