New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

loading dictionary files on Android

General discussion

loading dictionary files on Android

Postby venetiakotamraju » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:24 am

Hi everyone,
I am trying to load dictionary files onto my Android tablet (Google Nexus 7) after downloading the free version of the GoldenDict app. I am facing several problems:
1. The app asks me to save the dictionary files to the device's SD card but being a Nexus my device doesn't have an SD card, so where should I save the files? I have tried downloading a dictionary file from my email and saving it to 'drive' but after that when I open the GoldenDict app it gives the welcome message and says again 'place your dictionary files on the SD card...' and gives me only two options - close the app or click on a link which takes me to a web page from where I can download dictionary files, ie: it hasn't been able to locate the dictionary file I have saved on the device.
2. When I access my device's internal storage via my laptop I am not able to see any folder relating to GoldenDict (there are folders for other apps such as Skype but none for GoldenDict) so cannot do by loading the files from my laptop onto the device.
Can anyone advise?
Thank you
Venetia
venetiakotamraju

Re: loading dictionary files on Android

Postby medwatt » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:18 am

When you install Goldendict, a folder is created. Since you're using google Nexus, this folder will be created on the internal SD. The folder will sometimes be hidden when connected to a computer. So an easy solution (without rooting) is to just copy your dictionary files to some folder on your SD card and then using a file explorer in your Nexus move these dictionary files into Goldendict's folder which should be visible from the app. That's all.
If you decide to root your nexus, you can change the permissions of the Goldendict folder so that it can also be viewed on a PC. Android is linux based, so folders have the same restrictions!!
medwatt

Return to General