New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Font selection for "language" [Wishlist]

General discussion

Font selection for "language" [Wishlist]

Postby fast_rizwaan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:20 pm

Please allow language based fonts to be specified.

For urdu language, i'd like to use nafees.ttf (as default urdu font does not render characters properly)
for hindi, I'd like to use gurumaa.ttf
for telugu, i'd like to use pothana.ttf.

mdic and some other qt based softwares gives the language->font option. Please consider it. thanks.
fast_rizwaan

Re: Font selection for "language" [Wishlist]

Postby fast_rizwaan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 am

the urdu font can be downloaded from
http://alvi.urdushare.net/blog/200811/d ... nastaleeq/

the dns may wrongly say attack site. but it is harmless site.

http://alvi.urdushare.net/blog/wp-conte ... d.php?id=1
Attachments
urdu-text-render-good-due-to-correct-font.jpeg
the same data when rendered with correct font alvi-nastaleeq, looks very nice and acceptable.
urdu-text-render-good-due-to-correct-font.jpeg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 20291 times
urdu-text-render-bad-due-to-incorrect-font.jpeg
The lack of font selection is making the text un-readable. Urdu uses different characters than arabic, the automatic font selection of Qt is not good. please allow manual selection of font (for each word, meaning, in a dictionary database).
urdu-text-render-bad-due-to-incorrect-font.jpeg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 20286 times
fast_rizwaan

Postby ikm » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:29 pm

You can change the font. Search for article-style.css in this forum. Granted, this is low-level, but it gets the job done.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby fast_rizwaan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:24 pm

ikm wrote:You can change the font. Search for article-style.css in this forum. Granted, this is low-level, but it gets the job done.

the search system (bug) doesn't support "-" and "." it seems; searching for "article-style.css" will not get anything. but searching for "article style css" gets me some results.

seeing the .css code you've said to give font list; but the font is still not used by the "urdu language text" but it is used by "English" text
---------
cat ~/.goldendict/article-style.css
Code: Select all
body
{
  font-family: "Alvi Nastaleeq";
}

---------------
please give me the article-style.css, which really works with urdu/arabic text parts. I would really appreciate your help. please, the incorrect font rendering is stopping/annoying my work for goldendict and urdu language.
Attachments
urdu-text-render-not working-with-font-style.css.jpeg
english text is rendered in alvi nastaleeq but not urdu/arabic :-(
urdu-text-render-not working-with-font-style.css.jpeg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 20278 times
urdu-text-printed-text-render-not working-with-font-style.css.jpeg
the urdu text is not rended in alvi nastaleeq even in printing.
urdu-text-printed-text-render-not working-with-font-style.css.jpeg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 20284 times
fast_rizwaan

Postby ikm » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Actually, it looks that it's the encoding that's is incorrect, not the font. Which dictionary is that?
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby fast_rizwaan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:54 pm

ikm wrote:Actually, it looks that it's the encoding that's is incorrect, not the font. Which dictionary is that?

english to urdu lughat(dictionary)
http://www.mediafire.com/?meiwjdnwgzm

english to urdu dictionary
http://www.mediafire.com/?ynzyyyyktry

Urdu, farsi, sindhi, are like arabic with extra characters. the arabic font dictionary/qt/kde is used by qt/kde for RTL (right-to-left) languages, i presume.
fast_rizwaan

Postby fast_rizwaan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 pm

please provide "failsafe" font option for non-standard encodings.Arial Unicode MS is really nice font for all other encodings.

I wish that goldendict should allow each "dictionary" database with individual fonts:

1. Font for Contents_language
2. Font for Index_language

or at least support "[font] [/font]" html tag in goldendict, so that i could add the font information there itself...

Why should we not have GDS (Golden Dictionary Source format) based on XDXF+ DSL + HTML formatting???
fast_rizwaan

Postby fast_rizwaan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:10 am

Hi ikm,

To get the "Alvi nastaleeq" font visible throughout QT and KDE apps, I've deleted all fonts with arabic encodings, and left only "Alvi Nastaleeq.ttf"; which kind-of forced "QT" and "KDE" to use "Alvi Nastaleeq" font for arabic encoding! please see:
urdu-font-issue.jpeg
after deleting all arabic based fonts, i could get Urdu font Alvi-nastaleeq working with golden dictionary.
urdu-font-issue.jpeg (109.56 KiB) Viewed 20086 times

MDic (MDictionary) mdic.sf.net or http://mdic.gnufolks.org/, which is a QT4 only dictionary has this "Font selection for Writing Language" please see the attachments...
mdic-language-based-font-selection.jpeg
mdic which is a qt4 gpl3 dictionary, has this nice feature of 'choosing font for writing system/languages'
mdic-language-based-font-selection.jpeg (111.42 KiB) Viewed 20082 times

MDic developer, created mdic for his own use, hence he is not at all concerned with improving his software with features and all... Hence, it seems a ancient software... The only good feature is the "font selection dialog for different languages"

Whereas, Our Golden Dictionary, has all the nice features, It would really, really help people with "font rendering issues" to benefit from the "language based font selection dialog"

There are 2 inconveniences, in golden dictionary for non-native languages (and fonts) with rendering.

1. QT will randomly choose the "Worst" font for the language text.
2. Font size can not be changed. e.g., "alvi nastaleeq" font has small glyph for each character. so, increasing the font size upto 20+ is a must. but QT/KDE does not provide such options. hence, a big inconvenience to the user.
urdu-font-very-small.jpeg
alvi-nastaleeq urdu font very small at 100%
urdu-font-very-small.jpeg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 20080 times

IKM, if you could kindly add the "language font selection dialog", i and users (who need to use non-standard language databases in goldendict) of goldendict will be very thankful to you.
fast_rizwaan

Postby ikm » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:50 am

I've added some special HTML attributes to the articles, so their fonts can now be customized based on their languages. For now, this can only be done in a text editor. I've started the FAQ on GD and added this question and its answer. Please support GD by adding any other questions you know about and answers there.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Return to General