New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

popup window without selection - ctrl+right-click like wweb

General discussion

popup window without selection - ctrl+right-click like wweb

Postby fast_rizwaan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:01 pm

hi ikm,

could we please have control(meta,alt,shift, modifier key)+"right-click" to popup the meaning for word "Without selecting the word in advance." WordWeb32 (in windows) has this feature already! Selection is a slow and annoying process, especially, when the text is a "hyperlink"

just modifier-key+right-click popuping up the meaning would be very very nice. thanks.
fast_rizwaan

Re: popup window without selection - ctrl+right-click like wweb

Postby ikm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 am

It is technically close to impossible to do under Linux.

p.s. I'm tired of you people quoting what other programs can do already. If you like them, just use them.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby fast_rizwaan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 pm

ikm wrote:It is technically close to impossible to do under Linux.
Perhaps a "clipboard"api or something like dbus thingie is need for this to happen... (I don't know much)... the application has to support i understand, so different api's gtk, qt, etc.. not possible... Just like arora, rekonq, etc. with qtwebkit, jre support is not possible, and people always complain for missing java runtime support. the developer is not responsible but the api is!!!

p.s. I'm tired of you people quoting what other programs can do already. If you like them, just use them.

Dear ikm,

So, Sorry that my request offended you. it was not intended to display that I don't like your smart work; instead the "undisclosed idea behind" the reference to other programs which already has a feature, is to let you know that such a thing is "possible"

I like goldendict so much that I've started working for it's databases... I made many of my friends install goldendict because it is a wonderful software. The English-Urdu dictionary author "Shahab Alam" was very impressed with the features and accesibility goldendict provides! it's because someone who likes goldendict did the work of database conversion/creation for goldendict only...

p.s. instead of expressing dissatisfaction or annoyance, just plainly telling the facts will help, that "Windows API" has the feature not "Linux" because of "lack of mouse+right-click" support in any or all of api.
fast_rizwaan

Postby ikm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Well, yes, I understand that, but I stated this was impossible in Linux in this forum at least a couple of times already, and each time someone brings it up again, it gets more and more annoying, that's all.

Thanks for your work and your interest, that's always appreciated.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Return to General