New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Default Dictionary Folder for GoldenDict

General discussion

Default Dictionary Folder for GoldenDict

Postby fast_rizwaan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 pm

hi ikm,

There should be a default dictionary folder" for a user or 3rd party installer to save/keep the .dsl, .bgl, .idx, etc. dictionaries.

currently, in Windows, we can use to deploy a new dictionary into %systemroot%\Program files\Stardict\dic is chosen as default, where it is present.

But we should also have

Windows default dictionaries folder/directory:
C:\Program Files\Goldendict\dic (or \dictionaries) folder to allow easier deployment of new dictionaries.
or
[b]My Documents\Goldendict\dic

Linux/Unix default dictionary Folder/directory:
$HOME/.goldendict/dic
~/.goldendict/dic

I find it difficult to explain to users -> press f3, click browse/add and rescan, that's geeky. normal users freak out when they need to configure upto 2-3 levels.

kindly, consider having a default /dic folder in users home folder (my documents), would really simplify deploying/adding new dictionaries to Goldendict. thanks.
fast_rizwaan

Re: Default Dictionary Folder for GoldenDict

Postby fast_rizwaan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Also, please allow config be deployed, by third party. For example, 3rd party provides font, rendering, size information, so,

overriding the C:\Document and Settings\%username%\Application Settings\Goldendict\config with my documents\goldendict\config, would help dictionary database creator, by allowing the exact way the data/language should look in goldendict.

thanks.
fast_rizwaan

Postby C2BlEv » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:37 pm

If you are a coder, you can submit patches.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby ikm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 pm

You can in fact deploy config file. The default config file template for new config when there's no config present is PROGRAM_DIR/content/defconfig. Also, any "%PROGRAMDIR%" strings present inside that defconfig are substituted with the program's actual install dir. See Windows En-Ru-En install -- it uses this trick to configure groups and order.

About the default dictionary folder: yes, I should add one.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby ikm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Oh, and one more thing: the easiest way to distribute preconfigured GD installations is to use the recently implemented portable mode. It was discussed elsewhere on this forum.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Return to General