New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Failed Install on Windows 2008 Server R2

General discussion

Failed Install on Windows 2008 Server R2

Postby coolrat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:07 am

Hi
I installed Goldendict on Windows 2008 Server R2. Goldendict ran, but when I tried to add dictionaries, the program crashed.
I have Goldendict installed in PROGRAMS (x86)
My dictionaries are installed in D:\Ray_Master_Files_2\Software\Language_Study & Dictionaries\Dictionaries- Selected for use by Goldendict

Goldendict began scanning for dictionaries (about 300 meg of dictionaries), then crashed.
After this, the application would not start again.

Any ideas on how I can get it working?
I tried removing Goldendict and re-installing. It didn't work and the application will not start
coolrat

Re: Failed Install on Windows 2008 Server R2

Postby Gloggy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:50 am

First things first: double-check that no Goldendict.exe process is running (via Task Manager). Next, take a look at

Code: Select all
C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\GoldenDict

Do you see a file, named "pid"? If so, delete it. Sometimes, when GoldenDict crashes, it doesn't remove the file and when you start the app again it thinks that some other instance of the application is already running.

With these two steps, you should be able to start GoldenDict again.

As for the crashes, try to add dictionaries one by one and see which one causes GD to crash. Sometimes, you could see the name of the dictionary being indexed, so you might have a clue which dictionary has caused the crash.

Once you detect the faulty dictionary, notify the GD author, he might be able to tweak GD to not crash on such dictionary.

P.S. Make sure you use the very latest GoldenDict, *not* the old 0.9 version. The latest build can be downloaded from here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77&start=120#p3374
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby coolrat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Following your advice, I found and deleted the .pid file.
I was then able to get Goldendict to run again.

I installed the dictionaries which are stored in folders. I selected the "recursive" option in the Add Dictionaries menu. Some dictionaries still cause it to crash, but I've not yet figured out which ones are doing it.

I also downloaded the latest version of GoldenDict (rev. da99118)
But I can't figure out how to install it. When I clicked on 'Goldendict.exe', it would not run.
How can I resolve this?
I tried deleting the 'pid' file and stopping the goldendict processes. But it still did not go through an installation process

Thanks!
coolrat

Postby Gloggy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:33 am

coolrat wrote:I installed the dictionaries which are stored in folders. I selected the "recursive" option in the Add Dictionaries menu. Some dictionaries still cause it to crash, but I've not yet figured out which ones are doing it.

Yep, this is a tedious part, to figure which of the dictionaries causes the crash.

I also downloaded the latest version of GoldenDict (rev. da99118)

This one should be a bit newer though: rev. 957dbc7.

But I can't figure out how to install it. When I clicked on 'Goldendict.exe', it would not run.
How can I resolve this?

Typically, if you'd like to use one of the recent builds, you just extract the archive with goldendict.exe and other files to some location and no extra steps needed for installation.

I tried deleting the 'pid' file and stopping the goldendict processes. But it still did not go through an installation process

I don't think installation is relevant here. You just have some dictionary that GoldenDict crashes on, and once you figure out the faulty dictionary, just report it to this board. Once it is known it is typically pretty straightforward to figure out why it crashes GoldenDict and how to fix it.
Gloggy
Модератор

Return to General