New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

What does one use to add words to the dictionaries

General discussion

Re: What does one use to add words to the dictionaries

Postby C2BlEv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Golden234 wrote:I have had some problems with getting GD to restart if I shut it down.

Not sure if this is your problem but will mention it just in case. When you close GD by pressing 'X' in the upper right corner, it does not exit the program, it only puts it in the tray (it can be among "hidden icons" in the lower right corner of the Windows). If you try to start another GD, it won't do it because GD is already an active process. You should go to the tray and press on its icon there.

To actually exit GD, you need to press Ctrl+Q or go to the menu "File" and then select "Quit" at the bottom. However, as Gloggy mentioned, you don't need to exit and restart GD to update dictionaries. Just press Ctrl+F5 after you change the dictionary file.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby Golden234 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Finally got back to try GD.
Running on Vista-64, and using NotePad++ as an editor, Notepad++ refuses to save a .DSL file as long as GD is open with the same .DSL file in use as a dictionary.

I've also tried Wordpad and it too complains about the file being in use by another program. :cry:
Golden234

Postby Gloggy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Which version of GoldenDict are you using? The official (but rather outdated) 0.9 or the new version from GIT?
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby Golden234 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Gloggy wrote:Which version of GoldenDict are you using? The official (but rather outdated) 0.9 or the new version from GIT?

Thank you, yes I'm using the 'official' 0.9
Sounds like I should update?

The linked site for GIT is all 'Greek' to me ;-) but I took a guess and I'll give it a try.
Golden234

Postby C2BlEv » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:12 pm

The "official" version is way outdated. You should install more recent releases. There is nothing to it. Just go here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77&start=120#p3374
download the file and unzip where you want. Run the exe file.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby Golden234 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:01 pm

C2BlEv wrote:The "official" version is way outdated. You should install more recent releases. There is nothing to it. Just go here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77&start=120#p3374
download the file and unzip where you want. Run the exe file.

Thank you.
I finally did download this version and have it installed now, though I have had not much chance to test it as yet. I will report back if I have any problems.

Just the same, I think you're 'hiding' the program from new users by only making an obsolete version available 'publicly :-(
Golden234

Postby DOCENKO Dmitrijo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 pm

I work as a translator. All new words with translations and other information I add in my dictionary created in Anki (www.ichi2.net/anki). Unfortunately GoldenDict can't look up words in dictionaries of Anki.
DOCENKO Dmitrijo

Postby Golden234 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:10 pm

DOCENKO Dmitrijo wrote:I work as a translator. All new words with translations and other information I add in my dictionary created in Anki (http://www.ichi2.net/anki). Unfortunately GoldenDict can't look up words in dictionaries of Anki.

My main interest was also for translation - using OmegaT.
The biggest problems I face is that at times I need to work off-net for extended periods and thus I don't have external dictionary servers available; hence my interest in building up my own dictionary - complete with all of the necessary stemming of words etc
So far, I have given up on GD and others like it because it is too much work to add all of the possible variations of a word to the text file only "dictionaries" that can readily be added and I have no ideas on how to generate 'proper' dictionary entries which would be useful.
I need to do my 'work' - which is not really building up more dictionaries :cry:
Golden234

Postby Gloggy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:44 am

Golden234 wrote:So far, I have given up on GD and others like it because it is too much work to add all of the possible variations of a word to the text file only "dictionaries" that can readily be added and I have no ideas on how to generate 'proper' dictionary entries which would be useful.

I'm not sure I understand why would you need to add all the possible variations (word forms?) to entries. Just use morpho dictionaries (some of them come directly with GoldenDict). Or, maybe I misunderstood you?
Gloggy
Модератор

Postby Golden234 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Gloggy wrote:I'm not sure I understand why would you need to add all the possible variations (word forms?) to entries. Just use morpho dictionaries (some of them come directly with GoldenDict). Or, maybe I misunderstood you?

None of the dictionaries for say German/English I have found are comprehensive enough by themselves and the supplementary dictionary formats supported are just plain text files without any of the 'conveniences' for a full dictionary.
What I really need, besides a dictionary front end, is a reasonably workable front end for adding new entries with all of the bells and whistles of morphology to complement and enlarge the existing dictionaries.
Again, I have other things I need to do - using these tools such as dictionaries - I don't have the time or expertise to build my own tools.
Golden234

PreviousNext

Return to General