New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Please release a new GDict version!!!! 0.9.1 or something!

General discussion

Please release a new GDict version!!!! 0.9.1 or something!

Postby fast_rizwaan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 am

Dear ikm and friends,

Please release a new version, how long can 0.9.0 be used by all the 'uninformed' users all over the world and operating systems?

If you could release a say new Goldict 0.9.1 version, then this will cause:

1. Increased exposure to new feature for the existing users
2. New users will be benefitted and in turn will (some of them) will help gdict's dictionary databases... Like i did...
3. windows, mac and linux users could 'really' benefit with new binaries; poor mac users, they can't get gdict git. my friend who uses mac, and I don't know mac, a dmg would really help him.

using git, is way too much for 'average' computer users.

Please consider releasing a new binary release for Mac OS, Windows and Linux... thanks.
fast_rizwaan

Re: Please release a new GDict version!!!! 0.9.1 or something!

Postby C2BlEv » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 am

For a windows binary, go here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=861&start=10#p3642
For a linux binary, I understand new releases come out from different repositories.
C2BlEv
Модератор

Postby fast_rizwaan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:23 am

C2BlEv wrote:For a windows binary, go here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=861&start=10#p3642
For a linux binary, I understand new releases come out from different repositories.

thank you, I already knew that... What I am asking is a release for 'general' public. those 'above average' users who want goldendict can get it. but what about not so advanced users of windows, linux and mac osx?

moreover, a new release will cause more coverage and a good software like goldendict will be available to all...!

if we compare git and 0.9.0 there are so many improvements in git that it is high time a new release for all OSes be done. thanks.
fast_rizwaan

Postby ikm » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:24 am

Yes, of course you are right. However, I don't have much time to devote to this project. I hope to do the release some day in the coming days, there is nothing blocking it technically.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby racheengel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi,

you can find the latest windows build of GoldenDict with Qt 4.7 here:

http://sintegrial.com/gd/pages/en/index.php
racheengel

Postby Bezi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Since the time I started using goldendict it has hanged on 0.9.0 version, while some nice improvements has been made to it since then.
As a good news, Fedora also added goldendict to its repositories in its recent versions,
I also agree with those who believe its time for goldendict to release a new version.

keep up the good work, it is an indispensable program on linux systems
Bezi

Postby Artem S. Tashkinov » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Fedora already has a git version, but I'd be more interested if these features were implemented and this bug was solved (intermittent random crashes, sometimes appearing as memory corruption: getResource: gdlookup://localhost?word=requested_word*** glibc detected *** goldendict: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0xb2803a98 ***). However ikm appears to have ceased GD development, so I wonder if anyone could step up and maybe started contributing code or forked a project altogether. I'm not in anyway diminishing ikm role and his work, but if he has no time/will/desire for his pet project maybe it's better for new savvy people to start actively participating.

BTW, I've discovered that I'm not the only person who experiences problems with GD: kubuntu report.
Artem S. Tashkinov

Postby ikm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Artem, why won't you start participating yourself? You could start by actually trying to find the cause for the bug you are having.

Furthermore, please stop spreading untrue information about the project. I do continue to develop the program - check the git logs. I have also asked other people to join lots and lots of times. The outside involvement is still mostly focused on contributing translations. Leaves much to desire, yet still quite good for the project. I also like the fact that a lot of people participate in discussions. But please don't forget that the only ones who have an actual final say on anything are the actual developers. So become one if you want to change things. If you aren't going to, then at least refrain from spreading FUD.

p.s. The bug report you've found was filed March, 2010 and features Ubuntu 9.04. It is old and irrelevant. Qt 4.7 was released September, 2010.
ikm
Автор GoldenDict

Postby Artem S. Tashkinov » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Konstantin, in no way I was trying to spread FUD or slander you. I'm very sorry if you felt that way.

As for helping you with GD: I will try to post a relevant topic on Linux related forums in the hope of attracting developers (it's really sad no one has joined you so far) - I'm willing to help but I have zero knowledge of C++.

Again, I'm very sorry if I offended you. That wasn't my intention.
Artem S. Tashkinov

Return to General