New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Save to text file

General discussion

Save to text file

Postby e_dub_kendo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:11 pm

First, I will say that this is, in general, the best pop-up dictionary I have used and I've tried out several of them. The interface is clean and intuitive, everything functions quickly and smoothly, and especially after I switched to the GIT version as I saw recommended in multiple threads in this forum there were far less bugs and glitches than your rivals like stardict. While GD doesn't automatically scan the words from every application or website I have tried it on, so that a simple mouse-hover brings up the popup, it does work for far more of them than stardict seems to. And even when using the copy-to-clipboard method it is quick and painless.
Unfortunately, I am still forced to use stardict for my popup dictionary needs, despite being inferior in nearly every way, because it has one function that is far to useful to me to give up: saving lookups (from both the popup and main window screens), in whole or in part, in an on-going text file. This makes it very easy to add those words to my flashcard program for further study. While GD does have the option to save articles from the main window as individual, html files, there doesnt seem to be an option to to select only part of the article to save, nor does it create an on-running file with all your saves stored together for easy perusal. However, this would still be sufficient IF it was possible to also save articles from the popup window.

I love GoldenDict, you've made an excellent application that is a joy to use. Hopefully it will soon meet my needs so I can make the switch to it permanent.
e_dub_kendo

Re: Save to text file

Postby e_dub_kendo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Re-reading my post, I don't think I really made clear the core of my request: some way to save definitions from the pop-up window, as opposed to only being able to save from the main window when you type or copy a word directly into the program. Two additional requests would make it even sweeter: save the definitions into one single on-going file instead of as seperate files and a way to grab the sentence the word was in and save it along with the definition. But, if only the first request was added so that I could quickly and easily save definitions as I read directly from the pop-up window it would be quite incredible. Thanks in advance.
e_dub_kendo

Re: Save to text file

Postby DOCENKO Dmitrijo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:56 pm

If you want to create your own dictionary of new words with translations and other information, you can use program Anki (www.ichi2.net/anki) and copy/paste text from GoldenDict to your Anki dictionary.
DOCENKO Dmitrijo

Return to General