New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Settings in registry

General discussion

Settings in registry

Postby Nov » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi!

It would be cool to have an option to save settings in windows registry. You see, GoldenDict has so much settings that average users just can't handle by themselves. If all the settings would be stored in HKLM and HKLU threads in registry it would be easy to create group policy templates and make major changes in settings via Group Policy, so that average users won't have to deal with them.

Lets do your soft just a little bit more perfect :)
Nov

Re: Settings in registry

Postby chulai » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:13 am

Hi Nov,

I might be wrong, but I don't think is a good idea to use the registry for storing program settings. GoldenDict is a cross-platform application. It runs under Linux and Windows and there were (are) some efforts to compile it for OS X. There's also a portable version for Windows (no installation needed). This is all possible in part due to the Qt cross-platform application framework.

Using the specific Windows registry to store settings would make GoldenDict less portable. BTW, the program preferences are stored in XML format. This makes it human readable and a platform independent way of storing the configuration. It's much better than using the Registry. I hate when I have to reinstall programs in a new machine and I can't just move my settings by copying the specific folders under C:\Users\{userId}\AppData.

Regards
chulai

Re: Settings in registry

Postby Nov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:48 am

That's reasonable.

I'm not talking about saving all settings only in registry by default, i'm saying that it would be cool for me as an administrator to have an OPTION to save settings in registry. Like in Dicto (sorry for mentioning it here), i have an option to save settings in registry or in an ini file somewhere in application data folder in my user profile. If it would be done, then people who like portable apps will have the ability to just copy application data folder and move to another PC, and admins will have their group policy template options to control goldendict all over their domain network.

About compatibility with Linux and other OSes. What if this "save all settings in registry" option will be available only in windows environments and will be set ass "off" by default?
Nov

Return to General