New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

feature request: add preference "copy-paste as plain text"

Report bugs here

feature request: add preference "copy-paste as plain text"

Postby eresus » Mon May 13, 2013 1:27 pm

There is one irksome issue in this otherwise brilliant application.

Whenever I want to copy a translated word from GoldenDict to, say, MS Office/LibreOffice, it appears along with the given original GoldenDict formatting. I think it is how Google Chrome (or webkit that GoldenDict uses) handles it. Sometimes it is useful (if I copy a whole dictionary entry for presentation purposes, but usually I make the pasted word a part of my translated text. Then I have to first paste the word to Notepad and only then to the proper text editor / or MS Word "paste special" - this is no good...

Therefore, could it be possible to have the option in Edit > Preferences (e.g. unchecked by default) to choose something to the effect of: "Copy-paste as plain text" / "Copy text without formatting".

E.g. the Opera browser does it by default, this being one of the main reasons I use it for translating.

Thank you - if it is needed to post it to bugzilla, please tell me, I can do it. Has this issue been discussed before? Please tell me your opinions.
Michal
eresus

Re: feature request: add preference "copy-paste as plain tex

Postby chulai » Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Hello, I also use Opera in a regular basis. And I used to use Notepad++ with the same procedure you described to paste in plain text from other programs (not only GoldenDict). Nowadays, I use a little helper app called Pure Text that gives you a global solution to this issue. Much better than implementing a "copy as plain text" in GoldenDict or use MS Word's paster special > paste as unformatted text option.
chulai

Postby eresus » Mon May 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks! I just discovered PureText today, prompted by you I installed it and will use it from now on. :)

However, I still think this is a workaround solution working only on Windows. If would be better if individual applications took care of the problem, as I have just checked, e.g. Firefox and Chrome sort of do through extensions, so if GoldenDict developers could find the time to implement this feature, it would still be very helpful.

All the best.
eresus

Postby chulai » Tue May 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Just in case I created a ticket for this feature request in GoldenDict issue tracker: https://github.com/goldendict/goldendict/issues/311
chulai

Postby eresus » Tue May 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks. I joined the thread.
eresus

Return to Bugs