New user registration is currently disabled due to spam abuse / Регистрация новых пользователей в настоящее время приостановлена из-за злоупотреблений спаммерами

Babylon now is free

General discussion

Re: Babylon now is free

Postby bugmenot1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm

yeah, really wish lingoes will have better wildcard search functions...

or if goldendict can open lingoes' dicts.
bugmenot1

Postby midoziad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 pm

mmmmmm wrote:In this version they improve and update the English-Arabic and Arabic-English
English-Arabic now has 163800 entries 394686 in total
previous version this dictionary has 51362 and 138880 in total
Arabic-English now has 77245 entries 848424 in total
previous version this dictionary has 67011 and 493275 in total
Words like these lathwork, fender bender, highfaluting I found them in new one

It is the biggest English-Arabic dictionary I ever saw .

and I took it to run in Goldendict

can you please tell us how to get that dictionary?
midoziad

Postby chulai » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 pm

bugmenot1 wrote:or if goldendict can open lingoes' dicts.

I don't think GoldenDict desktop will support Lingoes LD2 format any time soon. Search the forum, there are plenty of posts explaining why is that so.
chulai

Postby hanyl05 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:54 am

It is meaningless to support lingoes LD2 dictionary. No more could compile new dictionaries except for the author himself ---the project is almost died.

In addition, the emergence is very late, so most of Lingoes dictionaries is converted from stardict or Babylon, or mdx.
And it is not source-opening.
hanyl05

Postby Alec » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:28 am

If I understand correctly, dictionaries *created* by Babylon (i.e. not those in BGL format but created by someone else) can be used in other software, such as GoldenDict, but only if the user has a valid licence for Babylon.

However, the latest version of Babylon is free.

Does that mean that anyone can install Babylon, then ignore it, and legally use its dictionaries in other programs?

I can't find anything in the Babylon licence that forbids that.
Alec

Postby chigre-GD » Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 pm

at least, this has been done: ;)
>>mdx format support (Still active in China, although most of dictionaries with this format are converted from stardict and lingvo. anyhow, it is quite active)
chigre-GD

Postby hanyl05 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:49 am

I recommend someone could consider seriously about Epwing format, which is a official format in Japan.Dictionaries in this format are usually high quality, the same as the paper version.
hanyl05

Postby encyclopedia » Sun May 26, 2013 3:15 am

chulai wrote:I mean to be able to translate or invoke the program with a click of a mouse. When I used to use Babylon I would often open it with a Ctrl + Right click. Nowadays I achieve more or less the same result with GoldenDict + Autohotkey script. But Babylon allowed to invoke the program (with the mouse) with no need to select any text to translate. Similar to GoldenDict's Ctrl + F11 + F11.

I highly agree with this point. This feature is, imho, one of the top most convenient things I found with Babylon. I wish GoldenDict could implement something similar: (1) extract the word (OR relevant PHRASES that exist in the dictionaries index, Babylon somehow managed to do this!) from the text flow at a mouse click (2) and activate the full program window and display the search result.
encyclopedia

Postby Tvangeste » Sun May 26, 2013 7:57 am

encyclopedia wrote:I wish GoldenDict could implement something similar: (1) extract the word (OR relevant PHRASES that exist in the dictionaries index, Babylon somehow managed to do this!) from the text flow at a mouse click (2) and activate the full program window and display the search result.

1. GoldenDict can also search for phrases when you type. Say, you entered "be", and if there is a headword "let it be" in the dictionary, GoldenDict will show it in the suggestion list.

2. You could set this in preferences, so that instead of pop-up window a full GoldenDict window is shown.
Tvangeste

Postby Goldli » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:54 pm

1. GoldenDict can also search for phrases when you type. Say, you entered "be", and if there is a headword "let it be" in the dictionary, GoldenDict will show it in the suggestion list.

2. You could set this in preferences, so that instead of pop-up window a full GoldenDict window is shown.

I tried this out. And yes it works. But when I enter the word “give” in GoldenDict, in this way, for example I have a selection from:

give
    give a chance
    give a cold shoulder to
    give a concert
    give a dog a bone
    give up
    to give a character
    not give a damn
    given
    giver
    gives
    giveable
    given name
    Indian giver

-> and so on (a total of 57 different suggestions)

Comparison: Phrase translation Babylon vs. GoldenDict

-> 1. Sentence: I give you a present.
-> 2. Sentence: You give up.

1. Sentence:
When I click with Babylon on "give" in the first sentence, Babylon translate the word at once: "geben". Babylon remarks oneself that in this case there is no phrase.
When I translate it with GoldenDict I get a list with 57 different suggestions. When I am very bad in English I do not know if there exists a phrase such as "I give" or "give you" and I have to search through the list.

2. Sentence:
When I click with Babylon on "give" in the second sentence, Babylon remarks oneself that in this case there is the phrase "give up" and it translates it with "aufgeben".
When I translate it with GoldenDict I get a list with 57 different suggestions. Now, I have to search for the phrase "you give" and "give up".

In my opinion, the way how Babylon can recognise phrases is a very big advantage of Babylon.
May be it is very hard to implement that in GoldenDict.
Goldli

Previous

Return to General